We offer 404 furnished student rooms.
Fully equipped with everything you need…

Even art studios are available for private or commercial use.

After a few clicks and filling in the contact form, your complete application will be on our desk.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I rent a room?

The rental of rooms is exclusively done through the contact form on LivingScience's website or via email. A confirmation of enrollment at ETH is required.

What happens after the room has been reserved?

If a room is available, it will be reserved for you by the management. Once you have submitted all the necessary documents, the lease agreement will be sent to you. The lease agreement must be signed and returned by mail within 10 days.

Which students are eligible for renting?

The rooms are primarily rented to ETH students, including Bachelor's and Master's students at ETH Zurich.

Is a rental deposit required?

Yes, a security deposit for the proper fulfillment of the lease agreement is required. It can be made through a cash deposit at Zürcher Kantonalbank or, if desired, at another bank.

Is the internet connection included in the rent?

The internet connection is covered by the basic package offered by UPC, with a current bandwidth of 2 Mbits/s. The tenant must register with UPC to obtain a LAN modem. There is also the possibility to subscribe to additional services from UPC Cablecom at your own expense. The costs are included in the flat-rate ancillary costs.

Are the rooms furnished?

Yes, the rooms are rented furnished, including kitchen equipment. You can find a description of the furniture in the "Wohnen" section under Downloads on the construction description.

The mattress for the bed must be procured by the tenant, with dimensions of 140x200cm. A mattress can also be rented from MIBAG upon request.

Is it possible to set up a standing order with the bank?

A standing order can be set up with your bank. It is important to use a payment slip issued by MIBAG for this purpose. If you have multiple payment slips, you can use any reference number. Please note that the rent payment must be credited to MIBAG's account before the first day of the month.

Can I sublet my room?

If you are planning a semester exchange, you can sublet the room for a maximum of 6 months with permission from MIBAG. To do so, please provide us with the sublease agreement and the enrollment confirmation of the subtenant.

How can I terminate the lease?

The termination must be sent by registered mail to Bouygues Energies & Services Schweiz AG, MIBAG Property Managers, Brandstr. 24/26, 8952 Schlieren. Please adhere to the contractually agreed-upon notice period when giving notice. In the case of termination outside of the notice period, it is mandatory to provide the contact details of a new tenant.

Room handover

The handover of the room generally takes place on the last day of the month. If you are unable to participate in the handover, you have the option to issue a power of attorney to a third party. The power of attorney with an original signature must be brought to the handover.

Cleaning of the room and common areas

The tenant is responsible for cleaning the room and furniture, including the common areas (kitchen and living room). If the cleaning is not satisfactory, MIBAG will organize a follow-up cleaning, and 100% of the cost will be charged to the outgoing tenant.

Return of deposit and final statement

Once the invoices for repairs are received, the final statement will be prepared. Typically, the invoices arrive approximately 30-90 days after the repair works. It is possible to settle the final statement by offsetting it against the tenant's deposit account.